We believe that all children at Our Lady’s have the entitlement to a broad, balanced, creative and coherent curriculum which should prepare them for the opportunities and challenges of the 21st Century. They should be equipped with the skills, attitudes and dispositions they need to become well rounded individuals and life-long learners whilst instilling the love of learning.
In order for children to learn to think for themselves and for learning to become truly embedded we are focusing on ensuring the correct balance between knowledge and skills. We have redesigned our curriculum using Cornerstones as the skeleton of coverage for KS1 and KS2. It is important that children become responsible for their own learning enabling them to plan and show initiative; persevere and have a commitment to self-improvement.
Our curriculum aims to:
- Ensure it meets statutory requirements
- Is customised to capitalise upon the experiences and backgrounds of pupils as well as give then new experiences
- Supports and promotes the climate of the school
- Gives sufficient balance to the both the academic and the personal development of the pupils
- Promotes for all pupils a suitable breadth of opportunities
- Promotes pupils' spiritual, moral, social and cultural development including the promotion and understanding of British Values
- Is organised effectively to support pupils growing depth of understanding
- Engages pupil's interests
- Promote inclusion, diversity and community cohesion.
- Encourage children to work independently and cooperatively.
- Ensure that children are taught to become enterprising.
- Develop emotional intelligence and raise aspirations.
- Help to make children socially responsible.
- Ensure that all pupils realise their potential.
- Ensure that children achieve high standards across a variety of subjects.
- Ensure that all children are taught the essential knowledge and skills in the subject discipline